A court in India ordered the obstruction of the Proton Mail encrypted e -mail across the country.
On Tuesday, the Karnataka Supreme Court called on the Indian government to prevent Proton Mail, a popular e -mail service known for enhanced security, following a legal complaint filed by the Moser Design Associates of New Delhi. The local company claimed that its employees had received emails containing obscene and vulgar content sent by Proton mail.
To one Tuesday’s listening is transmitted to YouTubeJustice M Nagaprasanna ordered the Indian government to “block Mail Proton, keeping in mind the observations made during the class”, according to the 2008 information technology law.
In his own complaint Posted in January, the company based in New Delhi requested the regulation or exclusion of Proton Mail in India, as the email service refused to share details of the sender of the alleged aggressive emails, despite the police complaint.
Additional Attorney General Aravind Kamath, who represents the Indian government, told the Supreme Court earlier that the government could play a limited role in dealing with the concerns of the report and proposed criminal courts from then requesting the necessary information.
The Proton Mail block has not yet come into force, based on TechCrunch checks from the Proton Mail website in India. TechCrunch contacted the Proton Mail for comments and will update this story if we hear back.
This is the latest legal battle facing Proton correspondence in India, its second decision in so many years aimed at engaging in the country’s encrypted email service.
Last year, the Police Department of the Southern State of Tamil Nantu tried to block Mail Proton after finding that the email service was used to send a bomb threat to local schools. The Ministry of Informatics of the Indian Government informed Internet providers to prevent Proton Mail at the request of law enforcement. However, the Swiss federal authorities intervened for prevention The exclusion of the Proton Mailing in force.
“Intending access to Mail Proton simply prevents citizens who adhere to laws from communicating safely and do not prevent threats from sending another email service, especially if the perpetrators are outside India,” Proton said then.
Nevertheless, in October 2024, the Delhi Supreme Court asked State Police and the Ministry of Interior of the Indian Government to investigate the supposed use of Proton Mail throughout the country. Kamath, the Attorney General, had assured the Carnataka Supreme Court that he would examine the observations of the Delhi Supreme Court on the use of the Proton Mail in India.
